2015 is upon us, and most of us can agree that self-improvement is a big part of the new year. Some will decide to lose a few pounds, others contemplate becoming more self-less individuals, and some strive to become better professionals within their respective careers. These are all amazing, and with the right motivation and action (plenty of it, please), we can all achieve our goals.
My personal goal for 2015 (in addition to maintaining my killer bod) is to bring chivalry back and encourage my fellow bros, bromos, dudes, and fratsters to embrace the values our fathers and grandfathers were taught.
Firstly, what is a gentleman in this day and age? He is one who rises above the need for rash force or animal instincts to make his mark or solve his problems. His focus is in building himself (and others) up through self improvement, rather than from bringing others down. Furthermore, the following are the qualities that will constitute a gentleman in 2015:
1) R E S P E C T. A true gent will show respect to everyone around him. He will not be condescending or put anyone down, regardless of intelligence, social class, race, religion, or professional position. A man of integrity and confidence finds no use in degrading others. This especially includes women, the poor, animals, and children.
2) Equality is hot. Gentlemen do not compare each other or make a point to be “better” than his fellow man. His confidence is rooted within him, not in his superiority to others.
3) Cool as a cucumber. He understands others and his first instinct is to extinguish a volatile situation through the use of words and reason. The modern gentleman is one who has developed himself beyond the use of violence, but still knows how to use it if absolutely necessary, as a last resort – he will protect his family and loved ones at all costs.
4) Look fly, fratstar. While values are a big part of being a modern gent, let's be real: appearances matter, tons. Men: look good for the ladies (and gents) in your life, but most importantly look good for yourself. A gentleman maintains his appearance. He will pay attention to how he presents himself to others. He understands that it doesn’t only show respect for himself, but also for those around him. The statement he makes through dressing well is that he is respecting others by putting effort into how he presents himself to them.
5) International man of mystery. In addition to looking fresh, a gent prides himself on becoming a cosmopolitan man of the world. Knowledge will be learned, yes, and mistakes will surely be made. He accepts these scenarios as learning experiences and therefore welcomes discussions and even being corrected. He has evolved past being controlled by his ego.
6) Compassion is manly. The 2015 gentleman understands that regardless of what society tells you, emotions are not just for women. A gentleman understands that if a woman (or man) is considering something long term & building a family with, s(he) won’t want children raised by a statue. S(he) will also want to be loved, taken care of, and understood.
7) Chivalry is so not dead, bro. A gentleman is chivalrous, but not just towards women – towards everyone. He maintains a lifestyle that is respectful to all, and inspires others to adopt his values through his positive actions. If he encounters negative or unappreciative responses from others, he does not let it affect him.
2015 is a fresh opportunity for us to become better than before, more well-rounded, and definitely more interesting through our new-found experiences. Ring in the new year with a champagne toast with those you love and take the proactive steps to continuously develop yourself as a man of the world, as a gentleman of your community, city, state, and nation.