Modeling is a beautiful experience that includes a professional aspect as well as the well-known glitz and glam. Fame is a huge motivation for many models, both male and female, and this drive allows some strong competitors to showcase their best assets. However, it is not easy task to make it in the modeling industry. PdM recommends the following tips, whether you're in Chicago, Bangkok, or Berlin, to succeed on your way to the top.
1. Modelling is a business, and as a model, you are your own brand . Like any business, it takes time, effort, commitment, and patience to become a successful model. Remember that success does not happen over night.
2. Present yourself as the perfect candidate: show confidence, have a good attitude and a friendly personality. Show your personal style, but keep it clean and simple and always make a good first impression.
3. Keep a healthy lifestyle: drink a lot of water, hold on to a healthy diet, work-out regularly, get sufficient sleep and avoid cigarettes and alcohol. Not to say that you shouldn't drink, but stick to the bare minimum: a glass of wine on occasion doesn't hurt.
4. Look after your skin and your hair: use quality skin & hair care products like those offered by M&J Products, keep make-up at a minimum, take off your make-up every night and go for a regular trim.
5. Apply and attend as many castings and go-sees as possible: For models, a casting or a go see is a job interview, and should be regarded as such. Be prepared!
6. Model agency representation: If you are looking for representation within a model agency, or if a model agency contacts you, please make sure the contract is reliable and includes the standard conditions of the industry. Keep an eye on the following points: percentage of commission, duration of contract, cancellation terms, and exclusiveness.
These are the essentials for models to get started. On your journey, you will encounter a variety of other opportunities for growth that present themselves. We would love to hear your experience in the modeling sector and how you've benefited from such an opportunity (or if you've had the chance to benefit from our tips!)
At the young age of 26, Jorge G. Zavala has established himself as a reputable public relations and media insider in Chicago, New York City, and Bangkok. He has lived in 19 countries and speaks 7 languages, characteristics that have allowed him to flourish across industries and cultures. With over 4 years of experience in the fashion and lifestyle industries, Jorge is the go-to icon for Chicago's aspiring photographers, models, fashionistas, and business owners.
He is also a renowned fashion photographer, working exclusively in the realms of brand management, male models, and culinary art. A native of Chicago, Jorge enjoys art, politics, travel, sushi, and meeting fun, like-minded individuals. He is currently expanding his business endeavors to some exciting new global cities.
Catch him on Facebook, Twitter, and Linked-In.