More and more people are becoming health conscious, particularly as it relates to how we look and feel about ourselves. To some, eating healthy is the biggest step to take to feel better. For others, it's what we consume that makes or breaks our summer bods.
I have two weaknesses: alcohol and dessert. Specifically, I really love cupcakes and tequila. One night, in an attempt to figure out how to shed some summer pounds but not depriving myself of what I love, I chose to try something out. A great idea came to mind: low-fat margarita cupcakes! I would blend two of the things I love the most while still attempting to make them delicious and low fat!
Here is what I did:
LOW-FAT MARGARITA CUPCAKES:
1 box white cake mix
12 oz margarita mix (liquid)
1 Tbsp grated lime zest
1 Tbsp. lime juice
1 container of vanilla frosting
4 tbsp. lime juice
1 tbsp. lime zest
1. Preheat oven to 350º
2. Combine margarita mix, cake mix, eggs, lime zest and lime juice. Stir ingredients together.
3. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full.
3. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Since these have no oil, they will be better lighter than more cooked so they are not dry.
5. Mix frosting (made with low-fat cream cheese) with lime juice and lime zest.
6. Frost cooled cupcakes and top with a lime.
The cupcakes were delicious and solved my fix for both sweet and alcohol. The cupcakes themselves don't pack tons of calories without the frosting. The frosting, if done with low-fat cream cheese, is still delicious and only adds around 100 calories to your margarita cupcake.
Ta da! The cupcakes in total are about 345 calories without the added frosting and are packed with healthy carbohydrates and a hint of alcohol. Some margarita mixes don't come with alcohol, so that's a nice option to consider if you aren't a drinker.
The next time you have a cookout, don't forget to create some delicious and low-fat margarita cupcakes. They are a hit with the ladies and some gents as well. Better yet, don't forget to invite me and I'll whip up a batch!